How to vote in South Dakota
Election day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. South Dakota allows any voter to request a ballot by mail. You can also vote in person. South Dakota offers early voting.
Who can vote
You have to register to vote before election day in South Dakota. You can find the deadline to register to vote in the "Dates and deadlines" section.
To register in South Dakota you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- reside in South Dakota
- be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- not be currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system
- not have been adjudged mentally incompetent by a court
- *find more information on voting rights restoration here
Vote in person
Vote on election day
Voters registered in South Dakota can look up where to vote on South Dakota's site.
South Dakota voters can also vote before Election Day through a process called absentee in-person voting. The period for absentee in-person voting runs from Friday, September 18, 2020 to Monday, November 2, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
What to bring
- You will be asked to show photo ID to vote in South Dakota. Acceptable forms include: South Dakota driver's license or non-driver's ID card; US government photo ID (including a passport); US armed forces ID; current student photo ID from a South Dakota high school or South Dakota accredited institution of higher education; or a tribal photo ID.
- Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you can sign a personal identification affidavit and still be allowed to vote a regular ballot.
Vote by mail
- Request your mail-in ballot with a mail ballot application.
- Fill out the application completely.
- Submit the request to your local election office. You should request your ballot as far in advance of the election as possible. The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Monday, November 2, 2020.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.
See what's on the ballot
Get step-by-step help
TurboVote can help you start the absentee/mail-in ballot request process, send you election reminders, and more. If you’d like more help planning how to vote, we can walk you through the process!
Election Day registration
South Dakota does not offer registration on Election Day.
Military and overseas voters
Active-duty military, their families, and overseas citizens can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). To do so:
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. You can look up recommended mailing dates by country and region.
- Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it. Following are recommended return dates to make sure your ballot arrives at your election office on time:35 days before election - On a ship at sea: September 28, 202030 days before election - Outside of the US: October 2, 202011 days before the election - Stateside: October 23, 2020
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then:
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
Check your voter registration status
You can look up your voter registration record and verify that your information is correct using South Dakota's voter registration lookup tool.
Dates and deadlines
- Election day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
- The deadline for registering by mail to vote is (received by) Monday, October 19, 2020.
- The deadline to register in person to vote is Monday, October 19, 2020.
- The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Monday, November 2, 2020.
- The early voting period runs from Friday, September 18, 2020 to Monday, November 2, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
Election contact information for South Dakota
Secretary of State
Capitol Building, 500 East Capitol Avenue Ste 204
Pierre, SD 57501