How to vote in Maine
Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. Maine allows any voter to request a ballot by mail. You can also vote in person. Maine offers early voting.
Who can vote
To register in Maine you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Maine and the municipality in which you want to vote
- be at least 16 years old (you must be 18 years old to vote)
- *find more information on voting rights restoration here
Vote in person
Vote on Election Day
Voters registered in Maine can look up where to vote on Maine's site.
Maine voters can also vote before Election Day through a process called absentee in-person voting. The period for absentee in-person voting runs from Monday, October 5, 2020 to Friday, October 30, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
What to bring
- If you've voted in Maine before, you don't need to provide ID to vote.
- If you're a first-time voter that registered by mail, and didn't provide a copy of your Maine driver's license, Maine state ID card, or a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or government document that shows your name and address when you registered, you may need to show one of these documents to vote.
- Voters without ID: If you don't have ID or proof of residence, you can cast a challenged ballot. You may be asked to provide ID after the election for your ballot to count.
Vote by mail
- Request your mail-in ballot with a mail ballot application.
- Fill out the application completely.
- Submit the request to your local election office. You should request your ballot as far in advance of the election as possible. The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Thursday, October 29, 2020.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.
See what's on the ballot
Get step-by-step help
TurboVote can help you start the absentee/mail-in ballot request process, send you election reminders, and more. If you’d like more help planning how to vote, we can walk you through the process!
Election Day registration
Maine does offer registration on Election Day.
Military and overseas voters
Active-duty military, their families, and overseas citizens can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). To do so:
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. You can look up recommended mailing dates by country and region.
- Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it. Following are recommended return dates to make sure your ballot arrives at your election office on time:35 days before election - On a ship at sea: September 28, 202030 days before election - Outside of the US: October 2, 202011 days before the election - Stateside: October 23, 2020
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then:
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
Check your voter registration status
Maine does not offer an online registration lookup tool. To confirm your voter registration status and details, contact your local election official.
Dates and deadlines
- Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
- The deadline for registering by mail to vote is (received by) Monday, October 19, 2020.
- The deadline to register in person to vote is Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
- The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Thursday, October 29, 2020.
- The early voting period runs from Monday, October 5, 2020 to Friday, October 30, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
- You can also register and vote on Election Day.
Election contact information for Maine
Secretary of State
Burton Cross Building, 111 Sewall St., 4th Floor
Augusta, ME 04333-0101