How to vote in Idaho
Election day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. Idaho allows any voter to request a ballot by mail. You can also vote in person. Idaho offers early voting.
Who can vote
To register in Idaho you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- have resided in Idaho and in the county for 30 days prior to the day of election
- be at least 18 years old
- not have been convicted of a felony, and without having been restored to the rights of citizenship, or confined in prison on conviction of a criminal offense
- *find more information on voting rights restoration here
Vote in person
Vote on election day
Voters registered in Idaho can look up where to vote on Idaho's site.
Early voting and in-person absentee voting availability varies by county. Contact your local election office for information on early voting availability.
What to bring
- You will be asked to show photo ID to vote in Idaho. Acceptable forms include: Idaho driver's license or Idaho photo ID card; US passport or federal photo ID card; tribal photo ID; a current student photo ID issued by an Idaho high school, college, or technical school; or a license to carry a concealed weapon issued by a county sheriff in Idaho.
- Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you will be given the option of signing the Personal Identification Affidavit in order to cast a ballot.
Vote by mail
- Request your mail-in ballot with a mail ballot application.
- Fill out the application completely.
- Submit the request to your local election office. You should request your ballot as far in advance of the election as possible. The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Friday, October 23, 2020.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.
See what's on the ballot
Learn more about what will be on your ballot by visiting the Ballotpedia.
Get step-by-step help
TurboVote can help you start the absentee/mail-in ballot request process, send you election reminders, and more. If you’d like more help planning how to vote, we can walk you through the process!
Election Day registration
Idaho does offer registration on Election Day.
Military and overseas voters
Active-duty military, their families, and overseas citizens can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). To do so:
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. You can look up recommended mailing dates by country and region.
- Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it. Following are recommended return dates to make sure your ballot arrives at your election office on time:35 days before election - On a ship at sea: September 28, 202030 days before election - Outside of the US: October 2, 202011 days before the election - Stateside: October 23, 2020
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then:
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
Check your voter registration status
You can look up your voter registration record and verify that your information is correct using Idaho's voter registration lookup tool.
Dates and deadlines
- Election day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
- The deadline to register online to vote is Friday, October 9, 2020.
- The deadline for registering by mail to vote is (postmarked by) Friday, October 9, 2020.
- The deadline to register in person to vote is Friday, October 9, 2020.
- The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Friday, October 23, 2020.
- The early voting period runs from Monday, October 19, 2020 to Friday, October 30, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
- You can also register and vote on Election Day.
Election contact information for Idaho
Administration & Elections Office
East Wing, Second Floor, 700 West Jefferson E205
Boise, ID 83702